1st Lisbon Machine Learning School - "Learning For the Web" (LxMLS-2011)
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
1st Lisbon Machine Learning School - "Learning For the Web"
July 20-25, 2011http://lxmls.it.pt
Call for Participation
We invite everyone interested in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing to attend LxMLS 2011,
which will take place July 20-25 at Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), a leading Engineering and Science school in Portugal.
The summer school is organized jointly by IST, Instituto de Telecomunicações and Spoken Language Systems Lab-L2F.
In its debut year, the topic of the school is "Learning for the Web."
Topics and Intended Audience
The school will cover a range of Machine Learning (ML) topics, from theory to practice, that are important in solving
Natural Language Processing (NLP) problems that arise in the analysis and use of Web data.
Our target audience is:
* Researchers and graduate students in the fields of NLP and Computational Linguistics;
* Computer scientists who have interests in statistics and machine learning;
* Industry practitioners who desire a more in depth understanding of these subjects.
Features of LxMLS:
* No deep previous knowledge of ML or NLP is assumed;
* Recommended reading will be provided in advance;
* Includes a strong practical component;
* A day zero is scheduled to review basic concepts and introduce the necessary tools for implementation exercises;
* Days will be divided into tutorials and practical sessions (view schedule);
* Both basic and advanced topics will be covered;
* Instructors are leading researchers in machine learning.
List of Speakers
* MÁRIO FIGUEIREDO - Instituto Superior Técnico | Portugal
* KOBY CRAMMER - Technion, Israel Institute of Technogly | Israel
* BEN TASKAR - University of Pennsylvania | USA
* NOAH SMITH - Carnegie Mellon University | USA
* JASON EISNER - Johns Hopkins University | USA
* XAVIER CARRERAS - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya | Spain
* FERNANDO PEREIRA - Google Inc. | USA
* Application Deadline: March 31, 2011
* Decision: April 15, 2011
* Early Registration: May 31, 2011
* Summer School: July 20-26, 2011 (right in-between UAI and EMNLP)
Please visit our webpage for up to date information: http://lxmls.it.pt/
To apply, please send a brief summary of your research interests (maximum 1 page) along with your CV
mentioning name, country, and affiliation to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward to your participation!