Desktop Linux: τις πταίει

Συζητήσεις σχετικά με θέματα που αφορούν λειτουργικά συστήματα (Linux, *BSD, MacOS, Windows, κτλ.) .
mikem4600
Gbyte level
Gbyte level
Academic status: Alumnus/a

Desktop Linux: τις πταίει

Post by mikem4600 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:09 am

Ο Mark Shuttleworth (του Ubuntu) έδωσε πρόσφατα μια συνέντευξη και νομίζω ότι εξέφρασε κάποιες εξαιρετικές απόψεις που ίσως να πρέπει να τις κοιτάξει η desktop OSS κοινότητα...

Η πλήρης συνέντευξη εδώ.

Περί συγχρονισμού των releases των διαφόρων projects που απαρτίζουν το Linux desktop...
derStandard.at: So what about pushing harder to align the big distributions and get upstream projects to follow that cycle?

Shuttleworth: Well you know that's a big push for me, I very much want to achieve that. (...)

derStandard.at: Do you see a real chance for that happening?

Shuttleworth: Yes. I think it's quite feasible that one of the other major distros is making a limited commitment to that. There are some talks on this.

There's a lot of precedence in economics that some level of coordination helps draw more customers, more users to everybody. There is a fear I think amongst the distributions that if we release at the same time as them users will be able to choose Apples to Apples. But the reality is, each of the distributions has a different set of values and that has nothing to do with which version of X.org the are using.
Περί Gnome, KDE και innovation στο desktop
derStandard.at: It looks like everyone has chosen GNOME as their default desktop, do you think that observation is true?

Shuttleworth: Yeah, but I don't think that's as definitive as that. If I look at the work that has been done in the KDE community, it is very vibrant. I use KDE on my desktop, I enjoy seeing the pace of change there, there is a lot of innovation in KDE4. I think the KDE guys have a point when they say their approach has made it easier for them to make leaps forward than the GNOME approach which has very predictable release schedules. The flipside to that is that this predictability and also the choice of the LGPL has made GNOME very good for business.

Rather than saying: "GNOME wins, KDE looses" I'd like us to say: "How can we get this communities to sit down and talk to each other"? We really need to have both, stable release cycles and the ability to evolve quickly and make big leaps like KDE4.

(...)

derStandard.at: So you would favor GNOME to switch over to QT?

Shuttleworth: Well, I think it would be perfectly possible to deliver the values of GNOME on top of QT. There are licensing issues, GNOME is very much built on the LGPL, allowing companies to build their own products on a free software system, giving them some freedom and flexibility in their choice of licensing. That's very frankly been a huge drive for the adoption of GNOME by corporate ISVs.

Whether we'll be able to have the FSF excited about something, have GNOME excited about something, have Nokia excited about something which makes life better for developers - that's gonna be the interesting challenge for me. I'd like to see both desktops focusing on a common infrastructure. And we've already seen that, a lot of the Freedesktop initiatives have been embraced by both projects - HAL, d-bus for instance.(...)

derStandard.at: Recently there was a discussion about "decadence" in the GNOME community, discussing if GNOME is solely in a state of maintenance anymore. Do you think there have to be some bigger changes to get GNOME innovating again?

Shuttleworth: I think GNOME really set the pace about good guidance, good release management and good stability for downstream developers.(...) But it's equally important to have a very clearly articulated strategy for how to we will introduce waves of innovation. And I think the KDE-guys have a point when they say, if all you do is have an everlasting commitment to a stable API/ABI and do releases once every six months, you can never make big shifts of innovation.(...)

derStandard.at: You used KDE as an example for big leaps, but isn't there also a danger in that, seeing how the KDE-project seems to struggle with some of the unfortunate side-effects of such a very big leap?

Shuttleworth: Yeah, that's a really interesting point. That's why I think it's not as simple as saying "six months release and than a big release which is perfect and then has no changes for two years". Because it won't be perfect the first time around as those big dislocations do hurt. That's why I think a very careful conversation between the lead thinkers, focused on real experience, focused on the real commitment to continue to deliver for the industry that stability, that predictability but also let's you introduce change. How you introduce change is very important.(...)
Περί Apple
derStandard.at: If you look on the desktop market today there is one operating system that is growing significantly and it's not Linux. It's OS X. What do you think is the reason for that?

Shuttleworth: First of all, we should really understand this, as it's an important observation: The fact that OS X is growing, tells us that Windows is weakening. The fact that OS X is growing and Linux isn't, tells you that OS X is offering things that Linux is not. One of those is the pace of change, the level of innovation. You really have to give credit to Apple for driving innovation. Another of those things is their focus on the web as an experience. They recognize very strongly that the web is the killer application of the PC today and not Microsoft today.

There is a real opportunity for us to deliver a great web experience, but we have to focus very strongly on getting this done.
και φτάνοντας στον πυρήνα του θέματος...
derStandard.at: What do you see as the main obstacles holding back the success of the Linux desktop?

Shuttleworth: I think we don't yet deliver a good enough user experience. I think we deliver a user experience for people that have a reason to want to be on the Linux platform, either because of price or because of freedom. If that was your primary reason, Linux is the right answer.

But if you are somebody who is not too concerned about price, who is not too concerned about freedom, I don't think we can say the Linux desktop offers the very best experience. And that's something we have to change, that's something I'm committed to work on, focusing increasing amounts of resources of Canonical on figuring out on how we actually move the desktop experience forward to compete with Mac OS X.
(Έμφαση δικιά μου.)

Αν κάποιος μπορεί να γυρίσει το τιμόνι στην μέχρι τώρα πλήρη αποτυχία του Linux desktop, είναι αυτός.
Last edited by mikem4600 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autocracy hates questions. Anarchy hates answers.
PaP
Venus Project Founder
Venus Project Founder

Re: Mark Shuttleworth interview on desktop Linux

Post by PaP » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:53 am

Δεν έγραψες για την άποωη του για Qt based Gnome!
mikem4600
Gbyte level
Gbyte level

Re: Mark Shuttleworth interview on desktop Linux

Post by mikem4600 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Την έγραψα. ;)
Mark wrote:Well, I think it would be perfectly possible to deliver the values of GNOME on top of QT
Άλλαξα επίσης τον τίτλο του thread για να γίνει πιο γαργαλιστικός... :lol:
AmmarkoV
Wow! Terabyte level
Wow! Terabyte level

Re: Desktop Linux: τις πταίει

Post by AmmarkoV » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:54 pm

Ενδιαφέρον κειμενάκι , παραθέτω ένα που διάβασα και εγώ χθές..
Περι Bug fixing και Security..
Linus Torvalds wrote:On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> So as far as I'm concerned, "disclosing" is the fixing of the bug. It's
> the "look at the source" approach.

Btw, and you may not like this, since you are so focused on security, one
reason I refuse to bother with the whole security circus is that I think
it glorifies - and thus encourages - the wrong behavior.

It makes "heroes" out of security people, as if the people who don't just
fix normal bugs aren't as important.

In fact, all the boring normal bugs are _way_ more important, just because
there's a lot more of them. I don't think some spectacular security hole
should be glorified or cared about as being any more "special" than a
random spectacular crash due to bad locking.

Security people are often the black-and-white kind of people that I can't
stand. I think the OpenBSD crowd is a bunch of masturbating monkeys, in
that they make such a big deal about concentrating on security to the
point where they pretty much admit that nothing else matters to them.

To me, security is important. But it's no less important than everything
*else* that is also important!

Linus
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/706950
Spoiler: εμφάνιση/απόκρυψη
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code. Οι καθηγητές πληρώνονται από το δημόσιο αρα από όλους τους Έλληνες για να κάνουν τα μαθήματα. Όλοι οι Έλληνες θα έπρεπε να μπορούν να δουν τα μαθήματα τα οποία πληρώνουν! Tο πνευματικό έργο που επιτελείται με τα χρήματα του δημοσίου ΔΕΝ είναι μόνο δικό σας Όποιος δεν δίνει πανελλήνιες έχει δικαίωμα στην γνώση που πληρώνει [url=http://ammar.gr/gddg]gddg blog[/url]
~~Wind~~
Gbyte level
Gbyte level
Academic status: N>4

Post by ~~Wind~~ » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:28 pm

Ο Linus δινει φοβερες απαντησεις :lol:
I think the OpenBSD crowd is a bunch of masturbating monkeys,
Οσο για το συγχρονισμο των εκδοσεων υπηρξαν αντιρησεις.

Ο Aaron Siego (προεδρος κ developer KDΕ) λεει οτι η αξια του Ελευθερου Λογισμικου προερχεται πρωτιστως απο το ιδιο το upstream του λογισμικου κι οχι απο τις διανομες
, που ειναι συλλογες των upstream projects. Επομενος μια τετοια κινηση θα ωφελησει μονο τις διανομες, οχι τους developers, στους οποιους θα κοστισει και σε χρονο. Ακομα ενας συγχρονισμενος κυκλος αναπτυξης πιθανως να μειωσει την ποικιλοτητα που διακρινει το Linux.

Ο Dag Wieers (developer CentOS) λεει οτι τα κινητρα του Shuttleworth ειναι ωφελιμιστικα υπο την εννοια οτι θελει να επωφεληθει απο τη δουλεια της Red Hat κ Novell. Η Red Hat συντηρει δυο εκδοσεις του RHEL (ωστε να δουλευουν με νεοτερο hardware) ενω παραλληλα αναπτυσει τις επομενες, κατι αντιστοιχο κανει κ η Novell. Η δουλεια για κατι τετοιο ειναι τεραστια και δεν μπορει να γινει απο την Canonical. Επομενος μια τετοια κινηση θα ωφελησει το Ubuntu σε βαρος των Red Hat / Novell εφοσον θα μπορει να χρησιμοποιει τον ιδιο πυρηνα με τα ιδια bug fixes και την ιδια αλυσιδα εργαλειων των αλλων δυο.

Απο LinuxFormat
και εδω ενα σχετικο λινκ

καλο ειναι να ακουμε κ την αντιθετη αποψη.
ImageImage
Come to foss-aueb ...we have cookies.. yamyam~nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom
a cookie ~ I will do science to it
mikem4600
Gbyte level
Gbyte level

Post by mikem4600 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:06 pm

~~Wind~~ wrote:Ακομα ενας συγχρονισμενος κυκλος αναπτυξης πιθανως να μειωσει την ποικιλοτητα που διακρινει το Linux.
Αυτό ακριβώς είναι το ζητούμενο για το desktop linux... ;)
~~Wind~~
Gbyte level
Gbyte level
Academic status: N>4

Post by ~~Wind~~ » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:35 pm

mikem4600 wrote:
~~Wind~~ wrote:Ακομα ενας συγχρονισμενος κυκλος αναπτυξης πιθανως να μειωσει την ποικιλοτητα που διακρινει το Linux.
Αυτό ακριβώς είναι το ζητούμενο για το desktop linux... ;)
Εγω θα ελεγα οτι αυτο ειναι το ζητουμενο για να γινει ενα Desktop, οχι μονο το desktop linux. Συμφωνω με τα λεγομενα του κειμενου αλλα..
Αλλα ειναι αυτος ο λογος για τον οποιο εχουμε το Linux?
Κατα τη γνωμη το Linux δεν απευθεινεται στο mainstream κοινο, αλλα σε αυτους τους χρηστες που ξερουν και ξερουν τι ζητανε και πως το θελουν.
Αυτο ειναι το Linux στο κατω κατω, επιλογες, διαλεξε αυτο που σου ταιριαζει, γι αυτο και ειναι ανοιχτη η κοινοτητα, προσφερετε ολοι και διαλεξτε οτι θεωρειται καλυτερο και πιο στα μετρα/γουστα σας. Η επιλογη ειναι ενα απο τα κυρια χαρακτηριστικα που εχει να δωσει το Linux για μενα.

ΕDIT
Βασικα εχει μερικα αρκετα ενδιαφεροντα replies στο link που παρεθεσες. ;)
ImageImage
Come to foss-aueb ...we have cookies.. yamyam~nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom
a cookie ~ I will do science to it
mikem4600
Gbyte level
Gbyte level

Post by mikem4600 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:23 pm

Και μια πρόσφατη συνέντευξη του Linus Torvalds, Geek of the Week! :-D Έχει αρκετά ενδιαφέροντα πραγματάκια...
cyberpython
Mbyte level
Mbyte level

Post by cyberpython » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:47 pm

Desktop Linux: τις πταίει;
Η απάντηση βρίσκεται στο νόμο του Einstein (και δεν εννοώ το E=mc^2).... :-D
mikem4600
Gbyte level
Gbyte level

Post by mikem4600 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:41 am

LoL, σαφώς, όλα εξαρτώνται από το point of view μας για το desktop. Τα νούμερα όμως είναι αμείλικτα.

It's true: Windows is caught between Mac and Linux

(δεδομένα 2007)

Σε άλλο μήκος κύματος: Ubuntu founder urges Linux desktop to rival Apple

Return to “Λειτουργικά συστήματα”